How do I use it?
STEP 1 — Meet with your friends!
When you meet with your friends you open Phewtick. Your QR code will be shown on your page.
STEP 2 — Read QR codes!
Let your friend read your displayed QR code, or you read their QR displayed code. The QR reading is easy and can be done in an instant.
STEP 3 — Record your meet-up!
When you have finished reading your friend's QR code, press the "Record the meet-up" button! The meet-up will be automatically recorded.
STEP 4 — Get Phewtick points!
You will accumulate points every time you record a meet-up. Not only do you get points for reading another Phewtick user's QR code, but you get points when they ready your QR code as well.
STEP 5 — Redeem for cash!
When you have accumulated enough points, you can redeem them for cash. The redeemed cash can be sent to your PayPal account.
- QR code reading is limited to only someone standing next to you.
- Even if the QR code can be read, but your friend is standing away from you, the meet up will not be recorded.
- Old QR codes cannot be used, so they need to be updated regularly.
- There is no limit to the number of people or times users can meet-up in one day.
- An additional meet-up can be done with the same person after one hour has passed since the previous meet-up (a maximum of 24 times a day).
- The points received after recording a meet-up change randomly.
- QR code sharing via e-mail, fraudulent account creation, and disguising location information is prohibited.
What do I do if my device isn't reading a QR code?
Please refer to the following points:
- There is a possibility that the QR code has expired. Ask your partner to refresh their QR code.
- It is possible that it has been less than one hour since the last time you recorded a meet-up with the same person. When one hour has passed, the QR code can be read again. The time remaining until the next read can be done is displayed in the error screen.
- May be the distance between you and your partner is too far. Please make sure your current location on the "Current location" page is correct. Also, make sure that your partner’s current location is shown correctly on their device as well.
- It is possible that the QR code you are trying to read is old. Please ask your partner to refresh their QR code. Also, when registering a meet-up, be sure not refresh the QR code until it’s been completed.
- In cases that do not apply to any of the above, there is a possibility that service is temporarily unavailable. Please wait for a moment and then try using Phewtick again.
For questions, please feel free to contact us at
What operating systems and devices can use Phewtick?
Currently we support Android and iOS. Although we plan to support Windows Phone and BlackBerry in the future, the date has yet to be determined.
The Android version is compatible with a wide range of smart phones and tablet models, but a few models are not supported. iOS is compatible with iPhones, iPod touches, and iPads.
How do I redeem my cash?
Phewtick can send your money to your PayPal account. When you have earned a given number of points, go to the "Cash out" page from the “Points” page and enter the necessary paypal account information and then apply to cash your money. After applying, you will receive your money within 7-10 days.
Besides the option of cashing in, it is also possible to donate your earned points. Once a quarter, Phewtick sends all donated points by users collectively to UNICEF and Red Cross.
Where does the money come from?
Phewtick is engaged in the procurement of necessary funds from Japanese investors. Currently, we are earning revenue from advertising, but we are focusing on making the best service we can and getting as many users as possible using it. In the future, we plan to build a new local advertising business model that we intend to monetize.
How many people have redeemed cash up to now?
As of the end of November 2012, about 5,000 people have applied to cash in the money in their accounts. 90% of them were paid, while the remaining 10% were disqualified due to fraudulent activity.
Phewtick has a fraud monitoring system in place and strictly prohibits creating dummy accounts, concealing location information, and sharing QR codes via photographs.